Strong passwords are recommended for all of your UH accounts. Look at the UH Password Standard.
About Strong Passwords
UH has a strong password standard to protect the university's systems, data, and network. UH's password security recommendations are commensurate with the importance of protected information and data.
This means that low-risk, less-critical UH systems such as IT Training or personal e-mail accounts don't require the same degree of password protection as systems with higher risks associated with them.
Strong Password Standard
- Minimum Password Length: 8 characters
- Expire passwords every 90 days and prevent their reuse for a year
- Passwords must contain at least one character from each of the following classes"
- Alphabetic: Upper or lower case (a-z, A-Z)
- Numeric: 0-9
- Special Characters:! # % & ( ) * @ ^
- Lockout: After 5 consecutive failed login attempts an account will be locked for 30 minutes.
The purpose of a computer account password is to grant access to the account owner and restrict it from others. As a security measure, computer account passwords expire on a regular basis and must be changed. It is the responsibility of the account owner to make the password something that is easy to remember but difficult for someone else to guess. UIT recommends you change your passwords every month. Password Reset
Lost or forgotten passwords can be reset by ITSC staff or online by the owner of the computer account. The computer account owner can request a password reset online at www.uh.edu/infotech/passwordor by contacting the ITSC at 713-743-1411. Account ownership will be verified using your Cougar Card.