Windows Sandbox is a new lightweight desktop environment tailored for safely running applications in isolation. Windows 1903 or higher required.
- Open Windows Features, and then select Windows Sandbox. Select OK to install Windows Sandbox. You might be asked to restart the computer.
- Using the Start menu, find Windows Sandbox, run it and allow the elevation
- Copy an executable file from the host
- Paste the executable file in the window of Windows Sandbox (on the Windows desktop)
- Run the executable in the Windows Sandbox; if it is an installer go ahead and install it
- Run the application and use it as you normally do
- When you’re done experimenting, you can simply close the Windows Sandbox application. All sandbox content will be discarded and permanently deleted
Testing Suspicious emails using Windows Sandbox
For testing emails, use the included Microsoft Edge browser to open Outlook Web Access. You can then access the questionable email and evaluate it. If there’s a link involved, you can open the link without fear of lasting virus infections. In many cases, they are phishing emails that lead to fake login screens. Once you see such a login screen, you can confirm that the email is not legitimate. Make sure not to enter any credentials beyond your initial Outlook login.
You can also copy & paste files (but not drag/drop) from your physical machine into the Sandbox VM. This makes it easy to test questionable software applications. You could even install your preferred anti-virus application in the Sandbox for testing websites or applications.
Once you are done testing within the VM, click the top right X to close it. Lastly, click Ok in the confirmation window, and the VM will be permanently erased.